I forwarded this letter to the Longview News Journal’s Letter to the Editor section, as I have done many times throughout the years, and shockingly, it has not made its way to print.
So, for those who may be interested, here is the letter:
To Gregg & Upshur:
Are you aware that:
- Jay Dean, candidate for Rep. David Simpson’s seat, supports the confiscation and selling of personal property BEFORE a conviction is obtained;
- Jay Dean donated to the liberal Speaker Joe Straus and has refused, multiple times, to publicly state he will not vote for Joe Straus as Speaker;
- Jay Dean posted on his Facebook page that the Establishment is the TRUE conservatives in House District 7; and
- Jay Dean is a moderate.
Of course, it would not surprise me if Dean disagreed with my characterization. Here are a few examples of reputable organizations that agree:
1) American Family Association rated Dean as a moderate;
2) Texas Values Action rated Dean as a moderate;
3) Texas Alliance for Life, the same group that supports Dean supports liberals such as Straus, Geren, Cook, Fisher and Ratliff; and
4) Tony McDonald, with Empower Texans, in an article on Feb 4, 2016, pointed out Dean’s liberal activism as the Mayor of Longview.
The last time House District 7 had a moderate representing us was back in the Tommy Merritt days. We can’t afford to send Merritt 2.0 to Austin.
Please consider David Watts for Texas House.