TYLER, TX (KLTV) –
Nearly 900 schools across Texas have now been designated as under-performing campuses in a new list released by the Texas Education Agency on Thursday.
Of those, 66 campuses are in East Texas school districts.
For parents with students enrolled at those campuses, the designation provides them the option to transfer their children out of the underperforming school for the 2014-2015 school year. Parents have two options: transferring their children to another school in the same district, or applying for a seat at a school in a neighboring district. Neighboring districts receive extra funding for students outside the district, but they also have the option to decline the transfer application.
The TEA determines a school is under-performing if it meets one of two criteria. The first measure is if a school has more than 50 percent of its students failing any subject area on standardized testing for two of the last three years. The second measure is if a campus received a rating from the state designating the campus as “academically unacceptable” or “improvement required” in either 2011 or 2013.
Some of the East Texas school districts with campuses in the report include Longview ISD, Tyler ISD, and Nacogdoches ISD.
The TEA requires parents to be notified by under-performing schools about why the school made the list by February 1. Parents can then decide if they would like to make alternative plans for fall enrollment.
School campuses found to be under-performing in East Texas include:
- Alto Elementary (Alto ISD)
- Atlanta Middle School (Atlanta ISD)
- Carlisle ISD
- Carthage ISD (Baker-Koonce Intermediate School)
- Corsicana ISD (Sam Houston Elementary)
- Crockett ISD (Crockett Elementary, Crockett Junior High, Crockett High School)
- Cumby ISD (Cumby Elementary)
- Daingerfield-Lone Star ISD (Daingerfield High School)
- Dekalb ISD (Dekalb High School)
- Gilmer ISD (Gilmer Elementary)
- Jasper ISD (J.H. Rowe Intermediate School, Parnell Elementary, Jasper High School)
- Jefferson ISD (Jefferson High School)
- Karnack ISD (Karnack High School)
- Leverett’s Chapel ISD (Leverett’s Chapel High School)
- Linden-Kildare CISD (Linden-Kildare High School)
- Longview ISD (Forest Park Magnet School, JL Everhart Magnet School, Johnston-McQueen Elementary, South Ward Elementary, Ware Elementary, Longview High School)
- Marshall ISD (Crockett Elementary, GW Carver Elementary, JH Moore Elementary, Marshall Junior High, Marshall High School, W.M. B Travis Elementary)
- Mt. Pleasant ISD (Annie Sims Elementary, Frances Corprew Elementary, Vivian Fowler Elementary, Mt. Pleasant High School)
- Nacogdoches ISD (Brooks-Quinn-Jones Elementary, Emeline Carpenter Academy of Technology and Science, Thomas J. Rusk Academy of Fine Arts, Fredonia Elementary)
- Overton ISD (Overton Elementary, Overton High School)
- Palestine ISD (Palestine Middle School)
- Pine Tree ISD (Pine Tree Intermediate School)
- Pittsburg ISD (Pittsburg Elementary, Pittsburg High School)
- Queen City ISD (J.K. Hileman Elementary School, Queen City High School)
- Redwater ISD (Redwater Elementary)
- Rivercrest ISD (Rivercrest Junior High)
- Sulphur Springs ISD (Sulphur Springs Middle School)
- Tatum ISD (Tatum High School)
- Texarkana ISD (Dunbar Int. Center, Highland Park Elementary, Texarkana ISD Virtual Academy, Westlawn Elementary)
- Tyler ISD (Douglas Elementary, Griffin Elementary, Orr Elementary, Peete Elementary, Wayne D. Boshears Center for Exceptional Programs, John Tyler High School, Robert E. Lee High School)
- Union Grove ISD (Union Grove High School)
- Waskom ISD (Waskom Elementary)
- West Rusk County Consolidated Schools (West Rusk Intermediate School, West Rusk Middle School)
- White Oak ISD (White Oak High School)
A full list of schools on the list in the state can be found here.
Tyler ISD has announced that a public hearing on the results of the 2012-2013 Texas Academic Performance Report (TAPR) will be held Monday at 11 a.m. during Tyler ISD’s board meeting. The district will be presenting and discussing STAAR test results.